- Don't procrastinate! This is #1 because it's true! My husband can be really organized but once he starts to procrastinate, he gets overwhelmed and it's all downhill from there.
- Plan ahead. Especially if I know that the week is going to be busy I plan ahead. I find this especially helpful with meals. I always post a menu in my kitchen so I can quickly see what I need for the week.
- Make a schedule. I'm a scheduled person anyway but when I started having kids, I found it difficult to make sure my house was clean. So I made a schedule. Every Thursday I cleaned my entire house. I liked it because I knew that my house was getting cleaned every week and it was a part of my weekly schedule.
- Clear the clutter. Clutter can definitely feel like chaos so don't be afraid to toss things. Don't let mail get piled up. Those clothes that you haven't worn in months, take them to Goodwill.
- Organize what you have. I love scrapbooking but if I don't keep it organized, it gets out of control! Learn to store things in plastic bins, baskets, etc. Think creatively for all your storage needs. I found these rubbermaid containers at Wal-Mart for $3 and they work perfect for my scrapbooking ribbon. If everything has its place you will feel organized!
- Get your kids to help! Big or small there is a job for everyone! And if you teach them at a young age, they will learn to appreciate clean rooms and their space free of clutter. It might take a bit of work at first, but the long-term benefits will be worth it!
- Make goals for yourself. If you feel overwhelmed to get started, pick one thing you need to organize and make a goal for yourself. It's better to start somewhere than to put it off!
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
I love to be organized! I try not to be overboard about it but it actually relieves the stress for me. Our life can get so busy sometimes that I find if I can stay organized, it really helps me! Here are some helpful tips I've found: