Monday, August 25, 2008

Traditional Dances


We went to Mbonisweni a couple of weeks ago and none of the kids were there! They said it was because there were traditional dances going on. We heard them nearby so we went to watch them. As we were walking back, they told us why they were doing the dances. You see, they hold circumcision camps for the teenage boys and girls. From what I understand, they don't have a choice. They have to go. They take them away for a few months. I don't know all that they do but they do circumcise them. We've known kids who are forced to go against their will. I guess after their time away they come back and do this traditional dance throughout the community. Please pray for these kids. Thinking of girls getting circumcised horrifies me and circumcising teenage boys with the same knife horrifies me also. Another way AIDS is getting spread...

1 comments :

blissful_e said...

How gruesome. Here in Egypt, at least among the poorer families in our neighbourhood, they circumcise male infants outdoors under a small frilly tent that friends and family members carry around in a loud (and I do mean LOUD) procession. A lot closer to what happens in America than the teenage circumcision you mention.

As for female circumcision (which I refer to as castration because if a man had the equivalent part cut off, that's what it would be), it has been officially denounced in Egypt only in the past couple of years after an 11 year old girl died.

I stumbled across this issue when I was pregnant for the first time and trying to decide whether to have my baby in Egypt. I Googled 'midwife Egypt' and found page after page of links regarding female genital mutilation. I've been outraged ever since!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...