Apple Butter

1:18 AM

I love apple butter but have never seen it in Africa. I found this easy recipe from Just Slow Cooking. I liked it because instead of using sugar, you use apple juice. It turned out so good and my house had the lovely aroma of baked apples! I cooked the apples overnight and then did the rest in the morning.

12-15 apples, cored and quartered
1 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 tsp. cinnamon

Core and quarter apples. Don't peel them! Combine apples and juice in a crock pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours until apples are soft. Remove from pot and blend until smooth. Return to pot; add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 1 hour. Will keep several weeks in fridge or seal in jars. Makes about 8 cups.

*I usually drain some of the juice before blending.

You Might Also Like


  1. excuse my ignorance.... what do you do with it? do you use it to replace butter????

  2. Apple butter!!!!!!!!!!

    Jen, it's as if you are meeting needs that are so deep and central I didn't know I had them.

    I have tried (and failed) to find apple butter in England and Egypt. Now, thanks to you, I can make some of my own wherever I am.

    For Liesl and anyone else unfamiliar with apple butter (is it a Southern-US-only thing??), I use it to spread on toast or bagels instead of jam. Very satisfying and wholesome. Do give it a try!

  3. Ahh, apple butter. For the first commenter, apple butter is a wonderful apple spread that you can put on toast, english muffins, bagels, eat straight from the jar...oh, wait, that's just me. :)

    I just told Patrick about this recipe, and he's so excited I think he's going to pick up a tree's worth of apples on the way home!

  4. ok...I am going to have to make some!!!


Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images