Thursday, January 22, 2009

Our Right To Feel Safe?

Praying Pictures, Images and Photos
photo via photobucket

I hesitated to write this post as I don't want it to create fear in the hearts of others. However, as I continue to process my feelings and emotions of fear, anger, frustration, etc., I feel I must find the things to be thankful for.

In the wee hours of the morning yesterday, as we slept peacefully in our beds, the forces of evil were at work. I woke at 6 AM to start my daily routine. By 6:30 I made my way to the kitchen to brew my cup o' joe. Something was not right. The front door was locked but open, our front gate standing wide open lock missing, the biggest thing...my brother-in-law's truck - gone. I frantically went to my husband to see if possibly our friend living with us could have gone for an early drive. No such luck. It happened. We were broken into - we were robbed.

My eyes quickly searched to find the spot where I left my computer - gone. Tears filled my eyes as I thought of all my kid's photos that I just hadn't had the time to burn to cd's yet. My heart was sick, and still is. Irreplaceable moments that are just...gone.

Needless to say, I am still shaken and unsettled by these events. I realize how we, especially women, all long for safety and security, and when that gets compromised, we feel lost and violated.

In the midst of these unsettling events, I must also dwell on the way God protected us. Even though my kid's memories were stolen, my kids and the rest of my family were safe. My brother-in-law was asleep in the living room (where they broke in) yet he didn't wake up. This was actually a blessing because who knows what could have happened had he encountered them. Above all, I am thankful no one was hurt.

Please pray for us - for our safety and God's protection. They stole every set of car keys and a set of our house keys. I hate feeling violated. I struggled with fear vs. faith when we moved here, and I feel that this just refreshes those feelings I dealt with. I am clinging to Psalm 91:11.

"For He will give His angels charge concerning you. To guard you in all your ways."

Thanks for your prayers, friends!

8 comments :

Erin said...

Psalm 34:4 (King James Version)
4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

My mother gave me this verse when I was little. I used to be afraid sometimes, and she and I would repeat this verse over and over. As an adult, I still use this to remind me of God's protection and concern for all our fears. I hope it comforts you as well.

Rebekah said...

Jen,
Please know that I am praying for you friend. I am praising God with you that your family was kept safe from harm..that is the most important thing. But, I can also understand the sorrow in losing your precious picture memories and the struggle with fear that you have. Erin shares such a wonderful verse and I pray that you will find comfort and rest in the truth that it holds.

Tammie said...

Wow! I will keep you in prayer - that is an awful feeling - stealing material things somehow also steals our innocent trust of people...and makes us realize how evil this world is: uncovering the veil that hangs over our eyes.... I have experienced that to a small degree but i still have basic trust in my neighbor....

BUT I will be praying for you Jen. Thank you for posting!

ANd, thank you for visiting my blog - I love your collage - so vibrant!

His richest comfort to you today!

Home of Harris said...

We are praying for you. I am so thankful that you are all safe. But also having had things stolen from us, I understand the feeling of being violated, the fear, anger and the sadness. God is faithful and will see you through this time. I pray His comfort over you. I pray that you are all able to sleep peacefully and fully trust God to take care of each of you. We love you!!

A said...

we are also praying for you guys! love you all so much! and miss you too!

blissful_e said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. We have South African friends in London so I know a little of the atmosphere and some of the reasons why there are so many SAs trying to get a second passport despite desperate homesickness in being away from their beloved country.

This is one of those times where you have to not only rely on scripture, but also on the Holy Spirit reminding you that he has you right where he wants you and that there is no mistaking your calling.

I'm also thinking of the irony - of how your life and your ministry is all about providing safe haven for others. Yet your own home has been violated. Certainly this is the enemy at work.

We continue to pray for you.

Courtney said...

Praying for you guys! I know that the feelings of violation and the "what could have happened" must be so tough, but you have taken such a beautiful attitude to look at the reasons to be thankful. You are all safe!!!!!!
I feel for you the most about the pictures. Just makes my heart sick being a fellow photographer. Most importantly you have those two sweet ones safe with you, and I know that you will cherish the new pictures you will begin taking even more!
And you have your blog which has so many wonderful pictures. You have done such a great job of being consistent with posting. You can get your blog made into a book with all your pictures at blurb.com.
Love you guys and will be praying for a strong sense of His protection and peace in your house.

melanie said...

wow..i am all teary-eyed. Thank you God that you are all ok. I am sorry for the loss of your pics..and computer and stuff..but thank you God you still have your family and each other. I am praying peace for you and your family and praying against fear. much love...melanie

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...