Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reminders...

child

...of why we obeyed the call to go to South Africa. Jeremy and I first came here in July of 2000. I can't believe it has almost been 9 years! And yet we can remember so vividly the moment our hearts were forever touched. Working with a Catholic mission in Barberton, we stayed up one night with a woman who was dying of AIDS. She was already unconscious so we sang to her and put wet cloths on her, giving her the most peaceful death we could. Because she was valuable and deserved that. My heart broke to hear her story. Her husband had been unfaithful to her and given her the disease. Now she was alone, dying at such a young age. She should have had many years of life left.

beauty

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up on all the logistical, admin type of jobs that I have to do. Returning emails, setting up events, scheduling teams. All that is important. But sometimes I have to sit back, look into their eyes, and let my heart be touched all over again...

smiles

2 comments :

Brittany Deniston said...

I love your blog! You do such an amazing job putting it together and I'm constantly impressed with your photography skills!

Courtney said...

Just came home from the South Africa team meeting and it was great to read this before going to bed. Looking forward to all the things that God will do in my heart while we are there with you guys. (And looking forward to seeing you, too!!)

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...