Thursday, February 19, 2009

Say Again!?

delish


With Joshua Emma and Grace going to school, they are not only learning a bit of Afrikaans but also english word choices that are a bit different than what I'm used to growing up in my American culture. Let me show you just what I mean:
  • Instead of crooked...it's skew.
  • Eraser...rubber. (Ok, now stop laughing, my American friends!)
  • Bathing suit...swimming costume.
  • Bad...naughty. (They are always quick to name all the naughty kids at school...they are never on the list!)
  • Pick up (like from school)...fetch.
  • Traffic light...robot.
  • Trash can...dust bin.
  • Trash...rubbish.
I know there's more that are slipping my mind. Joshua always corrects me when I don't use the right word choice or when I mispronounce a word (in my American accent vs. the South African accent). I just wonder how he will sound when he's an adult!

5 comments :

Pilar Stark said...

When I went to the States (I am from Spain) there were a lot of people from MExico. They speak spanish of course but some words are very different. I had to relearn some of those. Now that I am back in Spain, sometime the wrong one comes out :)

blissful_e said...

I love this post! I'm sure we'll have similar issues with Australian word choices/pronunciations.

I think junior-highish age is when accents and things like that become more set, so you have a while yet before accents firm up. But you're right, it should be very interesting to hear the end result!

'Robot' I know from SA friends we had in London is a South-African-ism, not English from England. 'Rubber,' 'naughty,' 'swimming costume,' and 'rubbish bin' are from England. And the other ones are probably the hip new slang! :)

Curious - what do you call roundabouts (e.g. traffic circles, medanes, etc.) in South Africa? Everywhere we go they seem to acquire a new name.

blissful_e said...

And to follow on from Pilar's comment, when I give taxi drivers directions in Spain, they know right away I am from America - my Mexican pronunciation gives me away!

Nina in Portugal said...

yep...same in Portugal...

You know ...when our kids are adults they will speak in their own special ways....won't it be fun to see how they all turn out!

Erasers are "rubbers" here too...only the Portuguese word for "rubber". I remember in class when I asked for an eraser and learned the word for it...my husband said with a smirk..."it means 'rubber' in English"....coffee just 'bout came out of my nose!

Liesl Kruger said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - hilarious!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...