Monday, April 20, 2009

Reading...Rachel's Tears by Beth Nimmo and Darrell Scott


Can you believe it was 10 years ago today that we watched in horror as the tragedy at Columbine in Littleton, Colorado claimed the lives of 12 students and one teacher? I just finished reading Rachel's Tears, a book about Columbine victim, Rachel Scott, written by her parents.

It is truly a fascinating book of a young woman who was not scared to stand up for her faith in her Savior, Jesus Christ. As you read the journal entries and see the drawings of this amazing young woman, you can't help to wonder if she walked in the gift of prophecy. Even the title of the book, Rachel's Tears, is based on a sketch she did the morning she was martyred for her faith. Her eyes, with 13 tears flowing down onto a flower. Thirteen people were killed that day before the shooters turned the guns on themselves.

This book inspired and challenged me in many ways. Through the pages I saw weaved the importance of relationship versus religion. Rachel was able to reach out to so many people because she didn't shove religion down anyone's throat. She was very open about her love for Jesus, but she had an amazing love for people and reached out to them simply because she wanted to and because they had value. Isn't that what Jesus was about? In my own life, I don't want religion to get in the way of loving people.

I would definitely recommend this book. I felt like I couldn't put it down. You will feel challenged in the way you interact with other people and to start "Rachel's chain reaction."

-------------------------------

I received this book FREE by becoming a book review blogger for Thomas Nelson. Check out their site for info on how you too can review books!

3 comments :

Pilar Stark said...

I am about to start it, but haven´t had a chance yet. I also got it from Thomas Nelson.... I think I already told you that... ??? Anyway, funny we got the same one ;)

melanie said...

I will have to check it out! I was living in Colorado Springs, Colorado when it all happened. So sad.

us three said...

I'm really excited! I just sent an application to Thomas Nelson. If they accept, I'll definitely get Racjhels Tears..... Where do you find out about these cool things?!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...