Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Meniere's Disease...What Is That?!


I didn't know what it was until I was diagnosed with it about 5 years ago.  I decided to write a post about it only because it's not something you hear about a lot and if you have it but don't know it, the symptoms can be scary and debilitating.










About 5 years ago, I started experiencing nausea, pressure in my ears, and dizziness often enough to make me wonder what was going on.  I thought for sure I had a tumor or something.  I finally mustered up the courage to go to a doctor to hear what I thought for sure was the problem.  I was quite surprised when he came back with Meniere's Disease.  I had never heard of it so he got out his big medical book and tried to explain it to me through pictures.  I was disappointed to find out that there was really nothing that could be done to help it.

counting sheep didn't even help me go to sleep!
photo found here

So I lived with the symptoms, noticing that I really only had flare ups when I flew and when it was that time of the month.  Sometimes months even went by with no symptoms.  That is until a few months ago.  It seemed I had flare ups more often than not.  The pressure was so great in my ears that I couldn't sleep at night.  I thought I was going to go crazy, so I started researching on the internet thinking there had to be something that could help me.

clear eye and sharp ear tcm formula

I came across something and asked Jeremy if it would be weird if I ordered some Chinese herbs off the internet.  I found some hope and was determined to try it.  I've been taking Tao of Herbs Clear Eye And Sharp Ear TCM Formula tablets 3 times a day.  I can't believe the difference!  I seldom have flare ups and if I do, it is very minimal.  I am more relaxed and less grumpy!

Some interesting facts about Meniere's Disease...
  • There is currently no cure for it and while it is not life threatening, the symptoms are progressive.
  • About 615,000 people in the US suffer from it.
  • It usually affects men and women starting in their 40's or 50's (not people my age!).
Click here to read more.

7 comments :

Becka said...

I am so glad you found something to help you,
Makes me want to do a study on, "why the older I get I sleep less?" no matter how tired I am,
Maybe there is a herb for it?
Becka :_)

Liesl said...

Wow Jen, that's quite something to live with daily. Glad you had it correctly diagnosed and have something that helps with it.

The Reeds said...

Wow I had no idea. Thanks for sharing. I've had a recurring ear infection (I think?) since last year and it flares up when I'm stressed or don't get enough sleep. Your ear can effect you hugely can't it??

Reminds me of the body of Christ. Even if we feel our "part" isn't that important- all little parts are important!!

blissful_e said...

How scary to walk into the doctor's office expecting to hear life-threatening news! And then to walk out with a mysterious and rare disease. Wow.

You were smart to do your own research and use herbs to mitigate symptoms. Similar to how I'm tackling the rare form of arthritis I'm dealt - with diet restrictions, apple cider vinegar, and lots of pregnancy and breastfeeding (the hormones greatly reduce my symptoms). :)

LibbyLibbyLibbyLibbyLibby said...

Isn't it fun how God leads us to natural things to help our body to help itself.
Thanks for sharing! Its good information to know and have!

MaryAnne said...

I'm glad you found something that helps!

peter kenneth said...

It is helpful .... i loved your post ... you always come up woth some thing interesting ... Thank you http://www.northeastatlantaent.com/

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...