Friday, February 18, 2011

valentine's gifting :: sewing & bath paints

In case you haven't noticed with all my Valentine posts, one of the goals I set for myself was that the majority of items that made their way into the Valentine mailbox be hand made.  Between knitting, sewing, and crafting I was able to stick pretty closely with my goal!

looking at picture book

picture book cover

First off, I made little card holders like the one I did for the Valentine giveaway (and the ones that are available in my shop).  Instead of filling them with postcards, I had some simple photo books done using a gift card I won in December.  These weren't just any old photos, these were photos from our summer family vacation.  It was such a memorable time for all of us, and Joshua and Emma G were so excited to get these!  (Couldn't find Miss Emma's for the sake of the photo shoot!)

hand sewn bookmarks

valentine bookmarks

Thanks to a little incentive from Six Flags, the kids have been reading lots to each get a free ticket.  360 minutes later they've completed that goal but the reading continues!  I used some leftover mesh from the knitted nesting boxes and sewed them some simple bookmarks.  Of course, you can't give bookmarks without a book, right?  I ordered them each book through their school which means their classroom received a free book!

drawstring bag

star wars battle

The last Valentine's sewing project was a simple drawstring bag.  In case you haven't noticed, the red and white fabric piece I found in the As Is section of Ikea was HUGE, so I've been using it for lots of projects.  Back to the drawstring bag, I found a set of 2 Star Wars guys at Target for $3.  One guy usually costs $7, so this was a score.  In keeping with my goal, I made the bag to hold all his guys.  He loves the new addition to his set.

bath paints

painting in the tub...love

Emma G has really been resistant lately to taking a bath.  I tried to convince her it is fun and all that, but it wasn't working.  I try to be a smart mama, problem solving these things but I was clueless until a friend mentioned that maybe she was bored in the tub.  That was precisely the problem.  Since we've been back, I haven't invested in bathtub toys of any sort.  I decided to make her some bath paints.  I had made these before, but she didn't remember.  When I ran the water for her evening bath, she said, "Now I have something to do in there!"  And I think to myself, "Why didn't I do this sooner..."

Well, that concludes my Valentine's gifting.  My crazy brain is already onto other projects...my birthday boy, and 2 birthday nieces! 

3 comments :

blissful_e said...

Great problem solving, and what a reward in that beaming bathtime face! :)

MaryAnne said...

And it looks like she wrote "LOVE" on the bathtub wall? How sweet!

Beautiful gifts! Your giveaway package arrived, and the photos (and their holder) are beautiful! Thank you!!!

Ana Degenaar said...

Simply beautiful! Loving these.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...