Friday, May 27, 2011

a reversible african toy

Last Friday I showed you some of the baby goodies I had knit up for a baby gift.  I was able to add one more item to the basket with this lion / elephant reversible toy from Susan B. Anderson's Itty Bitty Toys (absolutely love that book by the way).  I thought it would be fun to do something Africa-esque, so Joshua's teacher can remember the kid who came from Africa (this gift is for his teacher, his wife is expecting their first child).

lion front

I honestly have not been disappointed with a single thing I've made from this book.  They all turn out so cute.  These reversible toys are just genius, in my opinion.

lion back

I was able to knit this whole thing using yarn I already had in my stash (hence the reason why the lion has brown feet and a brown tail with a tan tip).  I said last Friday that I was going to give the blues a rest but this elephant just needed to be blue (because he's a boy, you know).

elephant front

I do believe this baby gift is now complete.  There's always something else that could be made, because baby knits are just the cutest, but for the sake of getting other things done around here, I feel I must stop the madness.

elephant back

What's your favorite baby gift to give?  Besides hand knits, I love giving wooden toys!  Linking up with Jennifer @ Studio JRU for Sneak Peek Friday (you really must visit her blog if you haven't already).

14 comments :

junglewife said...

That is TOO cute! :-)

junglewife said...

Oh, and I forgot to say that I love making homemade "diapers and wipes" holders - you know, the little fabric pouches that fit a couple of diapers and a package of travel wipes. Especially making 2 for those expecting their second baby, when the first one is still in diapers. SO nice for keeping the two sizes of diapers separated in the diaper bag instead of having loose diapers all over the place!

blissful_e said...

That reversible toy is just adorable!! I think the brown feet and tail on the lion are cute and would never have noticed they were meant to be otherwise.

AMKreations said...

They're so adorable! Great little creations...stopping by from Studio JRU! =)

MaryAnne said...

This is SO cute! I love making little crocheted toys as gifts, and we've sewn some cute crayon rolls. I also love giving wooden gifts - just wish I knew how to make them myself! Maybe someday...

Suz and Allan said...

These are really cute! I'm impressed!

Cindy said...

Oh yes! I have had to relearn knitting since my vintage girl is into spinning...and now that I see these, they might be the perfect thing to knit up with the yarn she spins as there isn't too much yet! Love all the inspiration you give!

Christina said...

That is SO cuuuute! You did a beautiful job.

Phoenix Peacock said...

Oh so adorable!!! This is really just too cute for words.

Bonita Rose said...

just adorable... I am participating this week at Studio JRU too.. so fun and happy friday to you! xo hugs fr fargo bonitarose

Jennifer said...

These are adorable, Jen! Too bad they are way above my knitting level-lol! I like to make mixed media collages for new babies, usually with scripture chosen for that child/family.

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

That is SO cute! Beautiful job. The little tails are adorable! What a special gift. Handmade gifts are just that extra step of special... love that! :)

Roberta said...

So cute...love anything homemade because it means so much more. Haven't had any had and new births lately so the last thing I was able to make were Little Dresses for Africa. Patiently waiting for grandbabies ;P Have a wonderful weekend...I see you've had a great start at the Symphony! Fondly, Roberta

Robin Norgren said...

These little guys are about the most adorable pieces! I am new to making handmade gifts but I really love crcheting beanies so I guess I just need to find a cute pattern for kiddos.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...