Wednesday, November 16, 2011

who i really am

Lately I've been thinking about who I really am versus who I used to think I was.  What prompted these thoughts was when we recently housed some guests.  Jeremy relayed a conversation with me that I thought was very interesting.  Someone who had known me for several years talked about how I used to handle a lot of the Ten Thousand Homes accounting and logistical type things.  Someone who had just met me when he arrived at our home was surprised and said he saw me as an artist.  This is something I never thought would happen in a million years. 

photographer lady

When I was in high school (which seems like it was just around the corner but it's more years than I care to write here), I thought I was someone who liked to do secretarial type work.  I could type well, I could organize, I could do lots of those left brained activities, so I equated the fact that I could do those things with liking to do those things.  It wasn't until recent years that I identified that being capable to do something does not necessarily mean you like it.

with a polaroid

I've literally been on a creative journey with God, and it's been fantastic.  It all started in 2003 when I frustratingly muttered the words, "I am not creative!"  That's a big statement, and I can only imagine that my very creative God said something like, "Hold the phone!  What??"  I totally believed a lie, but my admission spun me into this journey that I am forever grateful for.

lots of cameras

Jeremy and I have had some interesting talks lately about this subject.  I definitely believe that there are those people who naturally think more creatively.  Their right brain is in full force.  However, I also believe that God created us all with some kind of creative something.  For more left brained thinkers (which, by the way, is still my tendency to think more analytical), I truly believe that the right brain simply needs to be exercised.  If I would have never exercised any kind of creativity, then I wonder if my love for blogging and photography would have emerged.

Can you pinpoint a journey that helped you discover more of who you are?

These photos were my creative photo shoot for the week, so I'm linking them up with And Then, She {Snapped} for Show {Off} Your Shot!  The 100 Devotions giveaway is still going on and you can still pre-order your 2012 calendar!

12 comments :

Elisa | blissfulE said...

Wow! This is my favourite self-portrait shoot of yours I've seen. Looks like you're having fun with that remote. :)

I've found that laying aside selfishness peels back layers of sin and reveals more of what God actually intended me to be doing all along. I still have trouble believing it - and still resist the process - but I find what God wants me to do much more satisfying than what I thought I would prefer doing.

Jenni C's said...

If God created the Universe...and we are made in His image...we can only be creative..as well..love your portraits...hope you find more and more of your creative...side..

MaryAnne said...

I think creativity is hugely important for all human beings. Love your self-portraits.

As for my journey, let's see... music major for undergrad, masters in education, phd in medicine, and all I wanted to do all along was what I do now - and I find it hugely rewarding. The big question for me is what will happen as the kids grow up... Whatever the future holds for me, creativity will play a huge role.

AudreyO said...

I believe we continue to change as we get older. Our likes and dislikes, interests and hobbies will change. I believe this is just part of growing. Go with what you enjoy :)

Bren said...

Love this post, it's something I relate to so well. Isn't it great the our creative God brings us around and in touch with that other side of ourselves and often in a BIG way :-)

Tracy Jo said...

What a beautiful, wonderful post. Jen, I was exactly the same...I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body. I was a corporate girl working in finance. Then...my Dystonia hit and it opened a whole new world to my creative side. That is why, as hard as it might be, it is my blessing in disguise. I admire your creativity - we are just late bloomers! YOU are truly an ARTIST.

{amy} said...

I agree with you about us left-brainers needing to exercise the right brain. I love being creative, but I've found that I can copy something easier than I can make something up on my own. I don't know if that's exercising creativity or not, though! :)

{Thank you for praying for my cousin. He starts chemo tomorrow.}

shannon said...

Love this post :c)

(Oh how I want those cameras! lol)

Jaymi said...

so cute, I love the vintage cameras!

JeMA said...

Hi Jen! Found you through Bren... Love your creative photos and I too believe everyone has creativity. Some people are very creative with numbers, in science finding solutions, as well as the arts. Glad to be your new follower!

Karen said...

I ditto Shannon--I love this post...I love your journey and how your sharing it with us in your blog. I think you have an amazing creative bent...and I treasure that and your blog journey. Thanks for taking us all along with you...as you discover what God has put in you.

Lindsey V said...

This is so cool, Jen! I feel that I have totally been on a very similar journey of self-discovery. I am equally left-brained and right-brained and fluctuate back and forth between both over the years until I moved to SA where I realized in this past sabbatical year that I totally cut off my right brain/creative side and in the process, I suffocated myself. Great to hear someone else's journey as well!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...