Wednesday, June 27, 2012

memories and body aches

I spent about 5 hours yesterday scrubbing the kitchen in our rental...walls, baseboards, cabinets, appliances, everything got a good cleaning. I emptied 4 buckets of dirty water and changed rags every time. My body seriously aches from all the maneuvering. I realized, though, that I was happy and excited to resurrect my kitchen (even though I was disgusted by the buckets of animal hair). Eight years ago, we put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into our house. We invested so much, not just in fixing up this abandoned foreclosure but also in making it hospitable and inviting.

gardening 

I started thinking about all the good memories that live in this house. Then I looked outside to see Jeremy, the kids, and the kids across the street working in the yard. It warmed my heart. I know it's just a house, but it represents a time when we were walking out our family values so well, when the elements of home and community that we hold dear, were always present. I know we'll have that again. It's just been interesting times the last couple of years. A new season is coming, I am sure, and I wait for it with anticipation.

cleaning 

While I wait, I might as well get some work done. Off to paint a bathtub today!

8 comments :

MaryAnne K said...

I didn't even know you could paint a bathtub! Your house will look so nice when you are done!

Anonymous said...

And we have some wonderful memories in your home, living there for nearly three months in the fall of 2005 when Bruno was only three months old! One of the happiest seasons of our lives.x

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Homes do hold memories... good or bad. I feel your pain on the cleaning after having tenants... Fortunately, most of the time we have good ones... but, when I first started buying and renovating them. Oh, my! I had no idea people could live in such filth. Makes you feel good to restore a home... Something very symbolic in that for me. I look forward to watching the journey! blessings ~ tanna

Jenni C's said...

i think that you are going to need a long rest...on the plane...trip to SA...

tinajo said...

Homes holds so much, so many memories and feelings!

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

You have the cutest little helpers, Jen!! Homes always hold so many memories. It is neat that your family has this time together here for a bit to make a few more! :)

Elisa | blissfulE said...

Isn't it amazing how much of ourselves we put into our homes?

Suz and Allan said...

Sounds like you've put in a lot of hard work!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...