Monday, August 20, 2012

breakdown in the african bush

All elements of this story are real with no embellishment or fabrication. Seriously.

Let me paint the scene for you. The second day of clinics in Dino I was already emotionally exhausted. I started out the morning feeling like I could cry at the drop of a hat. By the end of the day, all I wanted was a hot shower and a Skype call with my husband. I wasn't usually the first one on the bus at the end of the day, but that day, I secured my seat well in advance. I didn't even mind the gentleman that brought a chicken on board for the 2 1/2 journey back to the hotel. After all, they were cheaper in the villages than in town. As long as that chicken stayed in his lap, I was good.

cow eating grass

Shortly after starting for "home," the sun set, leaving a darkness that was beyond dark. No street lights illumine the African bush. It's just dark. Maybe I should have taken advantage of our side of the road stop where the lights of a few shops dotted the darkness, but I thought, "No, I'd rather wait for a proper toilet." Who wouldn't?

kids in the bush

Little did I know the events that would unfold 20 minutes later. A flat tire. In the dark with absolutely no light around. Usually our caravan into the bush consisted of three vehicles, but for some reason, the other two went on ahead. So there we were in a large bus with a very flat tire. You would think things couldn't have gotten any worse. Upon everyone leaving the vehicle, a cold drizzle began to fall. All I could was laugh. Like out loud and with some of the other ladies. As if breaking down in the African bush with a chicken on board wasn't enough, it had to start raining as soon as we got outside.

the african bush

The rain, the laughing, the thought of how long it would take us to get a tire and back to the hotel, it was all too much, and I had to go on the side of the road with two ladies trying to block the view. I tell you. God has a sense of humor and despite the heaviness I felt that day, our breakdown in the African bush left me a whole lot lighter.

We finally made it back with the other team members welcoming us and expressing their sympathy at our misfortune. We ate dinner at 1 am, and I drifted off to sleep smiling at God's sense of humor.

I didn't get any photos of this particular experience, but can you just imagine these photos of the bush in the dark??

4 comments :

Elisa | blissfulE said...

Glad you were able to get through all of that with a sense of humor! :)

Suz and Allan said...

What an experience!

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

Oh Jen... what a story! HE certainly does have a sense of humor, doesn't HE?! lol

{amy} said...

Oh, wow. Much different from my flat tire in Houston last weekend! I would say that I'm sorry, but it sounds like you found the humor in it! I love that you saw the bright side!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...